Read this tutorial to learn how to find your router‘s login IP Address using any Mac or Linux Computer. This is a step by step guide which anyone can follow. I recommend all you guys to read this article word by word to learn this topic properly. Every Device on a network is identified by a specific address which is popularly known as IP Address. So, just like any other device connected to the Internet, your router has an IP Address as well. You need your router’s corrent login IP address to access the Admin panel in case you want to change the password or some settings of your device. In most of the cases, it is not difficult to obtain router’s IP address as it is printed in its box and instructions manual.
However, there are times when we don’t have access to either of them and most of us face difficulties in such scenarios. But don’t worry we are going to help you to find router IP address on Mac and Linux. The guide in this article is specific to Mac and Linux operating systems, in case you want to find router IP address on Windows, you can follow this link.
192.168.1.1 which is the default IP address of most of the wireless routers might not help when your ISP changes your router’s IP address. So, for this specific scenario, we have written this guide which will help you even when your router’s default IP address is changed. So without waiting, let’s jump to the steps.
How To Find Router’s IP Address In Mac
You just need to follow these steps to know your router’s IP address on Mac. The process to find the router’s IP address would be same no matter if your Mac is connected to the router using Ethernet or over WiFi.
- Open System Preferences by clicking on the apple’s logo on the top menu bar.
- In the System Preferences drop-down menu, choose Network option.
- Next click on Ethernet or WiFi depending on whether your Mac is connected using an Ethernet cable or WiFI network.
- In the current screen, you can see your router’s IP address written below Subnet Mask.
How To Find Router’s IP Address In Linux
- Open a terminal by navigating to Applications> System Tools> Terminal.
- Once the terminal is open, enter the following command: ip route | grep default.
- You will see your router’s IP address in the output which will appear something like this: joe$ ip route | grep default default via 192.168.0.1 dev eth0 proto static.
- In this case, the default router’s IP address is 192.168.0.1.
How to login to Admin Panel of your Wireless Router
Once you get the IP address of your router, the next step is to log in to the Admin panel of your router. If you need any help with this then you can follow the steps mentioned below.
- Launch your favorite browser while being connected to the router, we recommend using Firefox Quantum over Chrome.
- Type the router’s IP address you got by following the previous procedure (make sure you do not use http:// before the IP address).
- Once you hit enter you will see a login screen for your router. You need to enter your username and password to log in. It will look something like the screenshot which we have attacted below.
Note: Unless you have changed the username or password, these credentials will work for most of the routers – username: admin & password: admin or password or blank.
In case if you forget the login details and the default credentials don’t work, you will need to reset the router. Follow this process to reset your router:
- Find the reset button located at the back or bottom of your router.
- Use a pin or needle to press that reset button and hold it for 5-7 seconds.
- The led lights will start flashing once the router resetting process has begun.
- Allow the router to reset and reboot.
- Now you can log in to the Admin panel with the default credentials.
These processes of knowing your IP address of your Mac and Linux worked well for many of our audience. However, if you are getting in trouble while trying to know the IP address of your router via your Mac or Linux computer then you are free to comment below.
The above router login and resetting process work for most of the routers, let us know in case if it didn’t work for you, we will help you as soon as possible.